Old 19-08-2006, 08:46 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Raphanus Raphanus is offline

Default Endangered Species...

"Conservation bodies may not be too keen on amateurs reintroducing
plants
of unknown or non-local provenance into the wild."

And I can understand that. However I was thinking more of getting the
seeds/cuttings from a known research/conservation effort, e.g. the SC
(or NC) Botanical Garden. The provenance would then be well
established. The only logistical probelm I see with that is if they
cater to one member of the public - they have to be able to cater to
all and that may be a strain on resources. But maybe a first come,
first serve policy would work.

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message . com,
Raphanus writes
How hard is it for an individual to legally obtain seeds and/or
cuttings of an endangered species? Specifically I'm thinking of
Echinacea laevigata (Smooth Purple Coneflower). My purpose would be to
try to grow it. It is native to South Carolina (where I live) and
there are native populations on DOE's Savannah River Site a few miles
away. I would think that "enthusiatic amateurs" would be encouraged to
help grow new populations but maybe I missing something. I would
document my efforts. Thanks.

It's said to be illegal to collect seeds.

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/operations/...ildflowerbook/
wildflower/13b.html

But there are commerical sources, e.g.

http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/index.pl?seed