Old 19-08-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default mushroom compost

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Des Higgins" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from contains these words:

Mary Fisher wrote:

I thought Ireland was the World Centre for Mushroom Growing!

it is! it is!
sadly, I have no idea what they do with their spent compost or how to
get any.

I suppose a google search on "mushroom growers Ireland " or Eire
hadn't crossed your mind?

Bloody hell; that never occurred to me; what an extraordinary idea.

Google you say??
(skip the eire bit; that is only on stamps or coins).

You might mention that to google (when you track it down).

That is neither here nor there; try Eire as a google term and see what you
find. It is not exactly very useful.
Google use what crops up in web sites. Eire is the word (one word
actually; nominative singular or something; I cannot remember) for Ireland
in Irish. Almost no Irish companies have web sites in Irish.

Do you have a car with a tow bar and trailer I could borrow for when I
have
to go collect it?

Sorry, tow bars and trailers are for softie southern wusses. We carry
all our tons of seaweed, manure, shearing waste, brewery spent hops,
beachcombing finds, skip treaure etc home inside the car. With the
backseat taken out and skilled packing it holds 26 sackfuls.

That is very useful from wher I am sitting in the Dublin suburbs; I will
recommend it to the family.

By contrast. when I used to use spent mushroom compost, I
telephoned the mushroom farm and the mushroom farm was thrilled to
deliver as much as I would take, in exchange for a modest amount of
cash. Hope that solves the mystery of what mushroom farms do with the
spent compost.

What made me reply with such incredulity Janet was the idea that I had never
heard of google. I have spent hours googling for anyone who would sell me
mushroom comost and deliver it to Dublin (and the local yellow pages and a
bloke I met in a pub and his brother). No one wanted to. Several places
said I was welcome to come and get it. No one would deliver it. I said in
my non-controversial chatty post that I wished I could get someone to
deliver the stuff to me like what happened me once in England. You made
patronising suggestions about googling and suggestions for what search words
to use.
Jayzes.

Janet.