Old 19-08-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
SteveSch SteveSch is offline

Default Hay Bale Gardening

Hay Julie, LOL

I thought you may find this useful.

As an experiment we grew in hay and straw this year. We found that the hay
grew much larger plants. We couldn't locate any old bales so we used new
ones. We did NOT use any Ammonium Nitrate (AN). I am sure the heat of the
bale had something to do with the delayed growing. This hay bale was a
grass hay from Southern Colorado. In these photos both of the plants came
from the same seed packet and were planted the same day within seconds of
each other..

http://www.cheap-land.com/Rich/s4200022.jpg

http://www.cheap-land.com/Rich/s4200006.jpg

All of our plants in the bales were put out several weeks late and are
nowhere near as large as the ones in the ground, which were put in
earlier. We didn't fertilize the bales at all until a few weeks ago just
to see what they'd do. Then I started using a Miracle Grow knock-off mixed
with some Mittleider minerals. One pepper and one tomato was put in a
couple of weeks after the others. I started with fertilizing them and they
are now among the largest plants in the bales. Within a couple of weeks of
starting to fertilize they turned a darker green and began to really shoot
up. I have only been fertilizing a few weeks now.

Just for reference. We have tomato plants in the ground that stand over 5
feet and are loaded, at least 5-100# pumpkins, watermelons (which may or
may not be ripe before the frost) and several other plants producing very
well. Our area is very rocky and has a lot of shale. All of our neighbors
will all be happy to tell you that stuff just doesn't grow well in this
area. They have tried for years and nothing works..... Oh well....

http://www.cheap-land.com/Rich/s4200005.jpg

You can also read about one other experience at:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...he_Hay_Miracle

Google Ruth Stout. She was the first person I read that did the hay mulch.

Last week I brought home another 20 bales of alfalfa. I have heard it
may be better than the grass hay. Next year we will have the plants in
early enough to produce. We will NOT use AN. We will put compost on the
bales to help provide more nutrition. We will be using both hay (alfalfa
and grass) as well as straw to continue our little test.

I will also add that we planted potatoes on top of the ground under
about 18-24" of straw. We are very happy with the results. I have reached
under the straw and picked potatoes. I always grab a handful of black
compost with the potato. That ground is going to be prime next year for
pretty much anything.

http://www.cheap-land.com/Rich/s4200019.jpg

Good luck,
Steve