Old 19-08-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_1_] Bob Hobden[_1_] is offline

Default when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

"JWH" wrote after

"Alan Holmes" replied to "JWH"...
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

Whoever told you that must have been standing up or you wouldn't have heard
them. :-)

When they are ripe, that is a good dark red, pick them and enjoy. Like most
fruit , if lifted up they will normally break off from the stem when ripe.
Tomatoes normally split due to cold nights (in the autumn), nothing to do
with ripeness.

--
Regards
Bob H