Old 19-08-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow MadCow is offline

Default What am I eating?

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
There are some 'accidental' fruits in my garden, which I'd like to identify.

I have eaten (and stewed) quite a few without ill-effect and they are
ripe now. They are yellow, about 1.8 cm in diameter and have a central
stone, measuring around 1cm.

The flesh is sweet and tastes just like a plum, the skin is rather sour.

The branches of the tree which bears them have long (2-3cm) sharp
spikes/thorns.

They're obviously a prunus, I think. Are they mirabelles? Googling so
far has not shown me the rest of the plant. The spikes are vicious...

Prunus cerasifera, cherry plum, or mirabelle if French.

They're described with red or yellow fruit and spikes - this website
sells them for hedging:
http://buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/ac...uct_10262.html

IME the fruit can be bright red, yellow or deep purple all in a short
length of old field hedge. Their armament varies too; I suspect a lot
of the wild plants are hybrids and I think you're unlucky to have such
serious spines on yours.

They make first-rate pies but for jam you really want bullaces.

--
Sue ]