Old 20-08-2006, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Frogs in garden

"david taylor" wrote
Martin

I haven't read all the correspondence on this topic-apologies if I repeat.
We live in Devon inland but near the sea, with a wooded garden and lots of
undergrowth.(ie quite humid)
Our neighbour uphill, up high banks has a pond.
We have lots of frogs and toads in the garden (care whilst strimming).
Every spring they migrate up the lane to our neighbour's garden to
breed-we have to watch when returning by car late at night .....

Hope they don't get caught for speeding :~))))

and clear them away to avoid squashing. They have no difficulty getting
where they want to go-Probably smell the pond.
Frogs, toads and newts seem to move long distances 100M or more to breed.
I guess they do like humid leafy conditions, and I think these are
probably as important as a good breeding pond.
With regard to cats, it is recognised that they don't like toads and our
cat when alive did not catch frogs. Frogs have a bitter taste-those of the
edible variety have to be blanched to remove it.
Regards
David T

Jenny