Old 20-08-2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default my town is run by commies!

higgledy wrote:
My town's new in-ground irrigation ORDINANCE:

THE PERMIT FEE SHALL BE TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS ($200.00). ADDITIONALLY
THE APPLICANT SHALL OBTAIN A PLUMBING PERMIT FROM FREDERICK COUNTY.

They even specify the controller:

SUCH TECHNOLOGICAL DEVICES, SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS "SMART
CONTROLLERS", SHALL INCLUDE:
(A) RAIN SENSORS WHICH PREVENT THE USE OF THE SYSTEMS DURING RAIN
OR OTHER PRECIPITATION EVENTS.
(B) GROUND SENSORS WHICH MEASURE THE MOISTURE IN THE SOIL TO AVOID
UNNECESSARY USE OF THE SYSTEM WHEN THE GROUND MOISTURE IS HIGH; AND
A. PROGRAMMABLE TIMER SYSTEMS TO PREVENT THE USE OF THE
SYSTEM DURING TIMES OF WATER RESTRICTIONS AS ESTABLISHED BY ORDINANCE
OR BY THE BURGESS AND COMMISSIONERS PURSUANT TO TITLE 13 OF THIS CODE.
B. INSTALLER SHALL PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF TRAINING OR
CERTIFICATION FOR THE DESIGN AND INSTALLATION OF IRRIGATION SYSTEMS.

Any connection to our local water system requires a permit from the
County's Department of Building and Safety. Getting a permit notifies
the County that the connection is being made so that an inspection can
confirm that the connection does not compromise the safety of the system
and the water in it. After all, we drink that water.

"Evidence of training" is waived in my County if the person doing the
work is the property owner. Otherwise, a licensed plumbing contractor
must do the work. This again is for the safety of both the property
owner and all others drinking from the water system.

Permits and licensed contractors are required to replace a ho****er
heater. In that case, the issue is not only the integrity of the water
system; it's also the safety of the gas connection. I'm sure similar
regulations apply to anyone making modifications to their home's
electrical wiring. We have such regulations here.

Given the fact that, here in California, the state's supply of fresh
water is almost fully committed, requirements for water-conserving
irrigation systems are very reasonable. These requirements are now
being applied not only to home gardens but also to agriculture.

In my County, farmers have fought local cities over riparian rights to
the runoff from sewage plants. In my community, parks and schools are
irrigated with reclaimed water from our local sewage plant. To conserve
water and prevent intrusion of seawater into aquifers, the County even
regulates the operation of wells.

Laws like these are required simply because -- without them -- people
will not do the right thing.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/