Old 16-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default Using water as thermal storage in cold frame

Trace Curry wrote:

What's the best method for using water to store heat to be released
during the night to keep a cold frame from going below freezing?

I was thinking a bunch of those black balloons that you often see at
people's 40th birthday party - filled with water of course.

Any better ideas?

I got one of those Gro-quick heating cables, but it doesn't seem to be
doing much as far as heat production, maybe because it's only 15
degrees?

I have some plans for a great cold frame, not that it's rocket science
or anything. If anybody is interested it's just a PDF file - email me
and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,
Trace

Zone 5/Ohio

Milk jugs full of manure tea. The dark liquid absorbs more heat during
the day then plain water. I don't use cold frames, but with a square of
milk jugs around each plant, I grow lettuce otherwise out in the open in
temps down to 15F. And in the spring, I have lots of well aged manure
tea for fertilizer.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over
expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays without
discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the
syndicates of financiers and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors
are an abundant source of gain."
Anatole France