Old 20-08-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default And some people say there's no God...

On 20 Aug 2006 09:50:57 -0700, "Chris H. Fleming"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:55:53 +0930, Michael Gray
wrote:

Rather than a "leap of faith", I prefer to think of it as "jumping
into the gaping bottomless chasm of superstion".

I am not sure why non believers think people who are believers are
superstitious.

Because it's a tautology when you condsider that belief in
(*) Miraculous and extraordinary events
(*) Supernatural intervention
(*) Angelic apparations
(*) The efficacy of Charms: crucifix, pictures, saint candles
(*) The efficacy of Prayers, Chants, and Ceremony
(*) Biblical Prophecy
(*) ...
are all forms of superstition.

Of course Deists are completely immune to such criticism. Not all
believers are superstitious by definition, just most of them.

It's like saying the story of Jesus the Christ shouldn't be considered
Myth because a lot of people believe it. Strength and number of
conviction is irrelevant.

Spirituality is a very subjective thing and means different things to
different people. When I'm engaged in conversation and the subject of
god comes up, I ask people what they mean by "god." I am always
surprised to find out many people use the term as a metaphor and it
actually means nothing.

Yes, some believers are very rational and lack an anthropomorphic
deity.

My mother is always saying god watches out for her. If she wants to
believe that, and it gives her some solace, I shut my mouth. I don't
engage her in that discussion because I do not believe in god, or that
someone is watching me who created me. It's still nice to allow for
others to have their thoughts and sometimes it's really good to just
shut my mouth.

That sounds like a grade A superstition to me. And I would probably
bite my tongue to. But in a public forum where believers are preaching
to nonbelievers, I think the rules are a bit different. You don't go
out of your way to harrass your mother, and your mother isn't going out
of her way to harrass nonbelievers.

FOLKS COULD YOU PLEASE TAKE THIS TO EMAIL! YOU'RE CLUTTERING UP A
GARDEN GROUP WITH YOUR "SPIRITED" (pun intended) DEBATE!

Persephone