Old 20-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX VX is offline

Default Weed Dragon

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:57:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote
(in message ):

We want to encourage a renewal of the cultivation so would like to provide
daughter with whatever means possible to rid the plot of the weeds and we
thought about the Weed Dragon. I realise that it would have to be used
several times to rid the new growth from the roots but if it isn't suitable
I'd like to know what other solutions people here can suggest.

I must add that this plot is on an organic farm, chemical control is not an
option. A cultivator would seem to us to be inefficient because it would
spread roots. but we're willing to be advised.

Mary

Have you considered covering the area with heavy black plastic to keep
daylight off the weeds for some considerable time, untl they die from lack of
photosynthesis etc? I'd assume it's not exactly quick but it involves no
toxic chemicals, no burning of any size of animal life, and would raise
(presumably) relatively few ecological concerns.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)