Old 21-08-2006, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Advice please on Bog Garden planning and planting

. wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating my pond by putting a decking
path around it and creation of flower beds and a bog garden. I plan to
have an overflow from the pond into a bog garden.I have about 5m X 5m
outlined for the bog garden. I will be removing the turf, digging down 18"
and installing a plastic membrane with a few holes in it, sticking some
gravel in then making use of the turf by sticking it back in grass side
down then replacing the soil mixed with leaf mulch.

My main aim is to have exotic looking plants to give a backdrop to the
pond (Gunnera being one plant I would like). The bog garden will link up
with the flower beds. Ideally I would like some all year round interest
and also plants to act as weed suppressant (tall order, I know).

Any advice as to my proposed method or with suggested plants would be very
much appreciated. I live in South East Scotland within quarter of a mile
from the coast,

thanks in anticipation,

David

Mind-your-own-business, Soleirolia soleirolii (syn. Helxine soleirolii) is
one thing that will colonise damp /wet areas and act as an evergreen mulch.
I like the stuff but there are some who treat it as an invasive and
unwelcome weed