Old 21-08-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\)[_2_] David \(in Normandy\)[_2_] is offline

Default How can I succeed with cabbages?

How can I succeed with cabbages?
Specifically - how can I best net them against butterflies?

--
Chris

We had success by simply draping a large 1cm net over the young cabbages and
holding down the edges with rocks. As the plants grew we just slackened off
the nets periodically. It is important not to leave any gaps for them to get
in. The butterflies seem to prefer to lay their eggs on the underside of
leaves, so it didn't seem to matter that the net rested on the top of the
cabbages. Unfortunately we didn't get around to netting the brassicas this
year, busy with too much else due to moving house (and country!), so the
caterpillars are having a feast.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk