Old 21-08-2006, 09:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Robin Somes Robin Somes is offline

Default Help with identifcation

In message , Roger Whitehead
writes
In article , Robin Somes
wrote:
Looks to me like Moschatel, Adoxa moschatellina, vernacular name "Town
Hall Clock"

I doubt it. One of its other vernacular names is Five-faced Bishop,
which gives a clue to the number of flowers on each spike. Peter's
specimen has many flowers.

Looking again at his picture, you're right, of course. For some reason,
possibly the blade of grass coming up vertically, I had assumed that the
uppermost 2 or 3 flowers on the stalk belonged to a separate stalk
behind. Doh! Shows just how much one can see what one's expecting to
see...

cheers,
robin

I don't know what Peter's plant actually is, though. 8-)

--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk