Old 21-08-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Default Growing Orchids in Seattle

This is great! It may not be Settle, but Oregon is close enough. LOL. I'm
in Florida, so to me Oregon is pretty close to Seattle.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Beverly. I see I was mistaken about her location, too. [blush]
Being in Oregon instead of Seattle area. Nevertheless she does have
beautiful plants. Typical Californian, anything east of the Sierras or
north of Redding just doesn't register on our radars...

K Barrett

"Beverly" wrote in message
I've been lurking for ages and decided this is finally something I know
lots about, so it is time to delurk!!

Theresa Hill has her greenhouse in my area and has truly lovely orchids,
however her website is sadly out of date. The following is her contact
information and I'm sure if you e-mail or call her she would send you a
copy of her latest .pdf catalog.

Theresa Hill
E-Mail Hillsview
Ordering Fax (503) 658-7743
Greenhouse (503) 829-9808

Hillsview Gardens
PO BOX 1076
Milino, OR 97042

Beverly

K Barrett wrote:
Theresa Hill of Hillside?? Hillview?? Orchids grows some beyuoootiful
Miltoniopsis (pansy) orchids. Google it or go to the Orchid Mall
(
http://www.orchidmall.com) to find her site/list. Maybe you can get
your daughter a nice welcome orchid. Most places ship.

BTW, did you see where Google is afraid of trademark infringement when
people say 'google it'? They think someone will use a competing search
engine when they 'Google'... rather like 'Xerox' when one wanted to
copy something or 'Scotchtape' something together.... or 'amazoning' a
book (in order to read the first few pages (if available) to see if it
to one's taste.)

Luckily language is a living thing and - as we learned from 'Jurassic
Park' - life will find a way...

K Barrett

CJD wrote:

Google is actually my best friend. However, I thought this might be a
good place to come for some opinions. My daughter just moved to
Seattle recently, and I was wondering if, given their climate, an
orchid would be a plant I could recommend. I think I have my answer
now. Thank you.

"David Edgley" wrote in message
news
There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area. Mount
Baker Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid Society,
Federal Way Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget Sound Orchid
Study Group, and even a society on the Olympic Peninsula in the Sequim
area. Google is your friend.

David

"CJD" wrote in message

I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group can give me some
information. How difficult is it to keep orchids in Seattle? I'm not
talking about a greenhouse, but just in a normal home situation.
What orchids do well in Seattle's climate? Do they require special
care?