Old 22-08-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Mike Mike is offline

Default New Ponder ?'s

sean mckinney wrote:
Personally I would not put anything other than native fish in a flow
through pond unless I was sure that the overflow along with escaping
fish and fry would not reach a natural water course. Aside from any
moral considerations it may also be illegal, the establishment of a
goldfish or koi colony in a natural water can be a disaster for native
fish.

Good point, Sean. I live across the highway from the ocean, however,
and any escapees would have to adapt to sal****er really quick. I must
admit originally I hadn't even thought about fish getting washed out of
the pond- wasn't thinking about tiny fry- and again, I do appreciate
your comment.
I guess even in a recirculating pond, fish could somehow get picked up
by a bird and dropped into a natural water course. That must be why
itīs illegal to keep piranhas in this country!
BTW, I had considered putting trout into the pond, but wasn't sure
they'd survive. Wonder how they'd get along with koi if I decided to
try it?
Mike

--
sean mckinney