Old 22-08-2006, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What should I plant now?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Group,

I live in zone 6, eastern PA. I am a newbie for gardening.

I just got a piece of small community garden and I am learning to
garden. Now that it is late august, what should I plant? I do not
have any preference, only something that can get my foot wet, something
that can survive the winter or can harvest before frost kills them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

In supermarkets & restaurants, they charge insane prices for gourmet salad
greens. You're lucky enough to be in a place where you can grow all of them
until late October, or even into November if you take measures to protect
them from frost. Lettuce, swiss chard, arugula, spinach, frisé, escarole.
Dandelion greens are also delicious when they grow in cool weather. Also,
it's time to plant collard greens and broccoli raab. It's also worth
planting a late bunch of cucumbers. The ones planted in mid to late May are
usually pretty tired by now, or dead. Stick a few seeds in the ground. Some
years, you can be eating fresh cucumbers into late October. They need heat
to sprout, but not necessarily to succeed for the remaining 98% of their
existence.