Old 22-08-2006, 10:44 AM
sean mckinney sean mckinney is offline
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

You and I are in the same boat then, infact my ponds are semi raised to avoid sal****er flooding at extrememly high tides.

Re trout, I have trout in my pond but it is well planted and there must be a lot of natural food in there ie insect larvae. They require a 'special' diet, high protein I believe, and I did buy high protien food but the trout wont touch it, fortunately the goldfish like it. I am told trout need cold water and well aerated water and my fish pond, where the trout is/are, is certainly the coolest pond I have. I put a couple of fingerling trout in to eat goldfish fry and they seem to do that quite well. That said realistically I think my fish pond is pushing the lower limit in terms of suitable size. Trout also defend a territory and I think several of my goldfish carry the scars to show where they incurred a trout's 'displeasure', I have certainly seen at least one scale detached in a "oi, clear off, this is my space" reminder