Old 22-08-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What should I plant now?

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

Kale. Russian Red Kale is delicious and you can kick the snow off
of it and harvest it. Young kale = salad greens. Older kale = soup.

If you make tight walls of fallen leaves on either side of the kale in late
fall, right up against the plants, it will survive, growing more slowly,
until December or sometimes much later, even if it snows. Same with
collards. I can't for the life of me figure out why they were considered
just a Southern food many years ago. They laugh at snow. Mine survive all
winter in zone 5, upstate NY. Kale & collards are delicious when picked in
cold weather.