Old 22-08-2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default How many here grow food gardens inside green house year round?

simy1 wrote:
wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Where do you live?. Does anyone near you grow vegetables? If so, go
talk to them.

I live in north Missouri

From what I gather here..... it sound like growing a
food garden all year round is just impossible without a
significant investment in infrastructure

I guess I better move to Big Island Hawaii and do it
there! g

Huh? A PVC pipe for each hoop costs $1.60. 100 feet of 12 ft poly costs
$27. The clamps will cost you another $20, and you have to have some
bricks to hold down the poly on windy days (concrete chunks will do as
well). If treated well, the poly lasts three years and the clamps and
hoops last forever. You are looking at $15 per winter harvest.

Works if you don't live in a windy area. It's easier to hold down the
poly than to keep it from tearing. Hoop tunnels 2' or 3' may work
better in windy areas.

Don't expect summer crops under glass. It's too expensive to heat and
light. Still cheaper to air freight from the south. Winter hardy
stuff like lettuce and greens can grow in unheated hoop structures or
the regular cold frame..