Old 22-08-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_1_] Köi-Lö[_1_] is offline

Default Koi & goldfish acting differently

*Note: I am again being impersonated by a troll, so there are two "Koi-Los"
on this NG.

"John M. Darnielle" wrote in message
.. .
Hi!

First, congrats if you are a ponder who hasn't been driven away from this
group by the late unpleasantness.

Many of us are still here.

Second, my Koi and goldfish, about 12 in a 450 gallon pond, average length
6 ", have recently been spending most of their time at the surface under
the fountain,

You have way too many fish in such a small pond. Even if you have good
aeration and filtration. Koi reach 3' in length and goldfish can reach a
foot long or more. It sounds like your fish are suffocating or the water
(go you do regular partial water changes?) has a problem.

They've pretty much stopped eating the tetra food sticks and
prefer to graze on the azolla that has grown on about 1/4 of the surface.

I've checked the chemistry, no ammonia, nitrates, salt at .05, ph at 7.4.
The fountain seems to put plenty of air into the pond. Temp is at 64. I
grew concerned when one fish died. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You need to put in a much larger pond or find homes for all the koi. Keep a
few goldfish and start doing partial water changes ASAP.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.