Old 22-08-2006, 03:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Carpenter Ants

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:40:41 -0500, wrote:

As I understand it, to eliminate Carpenter Ants a bait specific to them
is needed. I've looked around the area local stores, but haven't found
any. I know the ants don't do much/if any damage, but I want them gone!
Anyone know where the bait can be found locally? Not interested in
internet purchasing....way too expensive.

Dave S(Texas)

Sure, you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It has the same shape
container as Amdro, and it has a green and black label. Enough for a
few years or to treat an entire property several times and I believe
it's about nine dollars.

If you have in infestation, they can cause structural damage, just not
as fast or bad as termites. Check for leaks, also in try to follow
them seeing where they come from. They come out at night. My poor
husband climbs up on the roof at night to see where they are entering
and he put bait in the attic. Most carpenter ants live in hollows in
trees so he dug a shallow trench around the entire tree and filled it
with Diatomaceous Earth, also sold at Lowes.

When we first had them, we needed an exterminator and we called Aztec
Pest Control which uses organic methods, but they definitely use
pyrethrum which is not non toxic.