Old 22-08-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_2_] Bob Hobden[_2_] is offline

Default unseen chilli pest

"fourmations" wrote
i have something eating tiny pin holes in my chilli leaves
and serrating the edges

I cant see what it is (even at night)
the only thing i have seen is an earwig
hanging upside down from inside one of the flowers!!

whatever it is are not harming the fruits, but its bothering me anyway

any thoughts

Well if it was Brassicas I would say Flea Beetle, but as it's capsicums then
all I can think of is Red Spider Mite which is too small to see with the
naked eye. Have a look with a 10X magnifying glass and see if you can see
any, especially on the underside of the leaves; if it's a really bad
infection you will find a fine silk type web.
Spray with cold soapy water daily especially under the leaves (they don't
like getting cold/wet) or use Bifenthrin.

--
Regards
Bob H