Old 22-08-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p. pleater p. pleater is offline

Default Calling all northern Sweetcorn growers

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Trevor wrote:

Does anyone manage to get 2 cobs on a plant?

I have been picking inside (polytunnel) for several weeks now and out
door
sweetcorn from tonight. Theres always a small secondary cob, but never
anything on it.

I'm in East Yorkshire, and nowhere further north than here receives
any more
sunshine. (Climate probably comparable to Lincolnshire)

Yes, I've had a variety in the past that's usually produced two,
sometimes three cobs per plant on an allotment in Reading. However
this year the last time I saw my sweetcorn (three weeks ago) they
hadn't developed any cobs at all.

I look forward to them when I get back in September! Hope I'm not
disappointed.

Here in west Notts I picked and cleared my corn plot two weeks ago. I
planted out my usual 16 plants in a block 4 X 5ft (closer than is
usually recommended) on 17 May and this produced a very good crop of 28
cobs, all full size and well pollinated.
I found the July drought slowed growth to a standstill and I feared the
crop would be a wipe-out, but after I started watering every day plants
soon recovered to about 6ft.
Water was the key to cropping this year because for the first time I
persuaded my neighbour to grow a corn crop...... I gave him 20
plants......he did everything by the book and followed my lead but his
plants didn't grow any taller than 20inches ! A disaster. The only
difference was that he neglected to water regularly during the scorching
weeks.
pp.