Old 22-08-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark Ron Clark is offline

Default when to pick two out of eight tomotoes

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:23:50 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote this (or the missive included this):

"JWH" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"JWH" wrote in message
novice recently given tomato plant in pot. we now have two big toms a
ripe red colour and four smaller still green ones. when should we pick
the red ones...does it matter? thanks for any advice.

If they are ripe, then pick them and eat them!
Alan

thanks, but for instance we were told by someone that when they are ripe
they will split and that is the best time. but you never see split ones in
the supermarket.

They must have been having an halucination, they split when they have been
starved of water, then overwatered, I always throw split ones on the compost
heap.

Exactly. Splitting is always due to irregular watering schedules.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

I came, I saw, I concurred