Old 22-08-2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is My Dogwood Dying or Just Stressed?

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is
very dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed.
We've been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

By the way, before you spend money on another tree, you might want to
consult one of the best resources that's ever existed, specific to the DC
area. I'm referring to two books by the late Henry Mitchell, garden writer
for the Washington Post. "The Essential Earthman" and "One Man's Garden".
Your library is sure to have them. If not, you will not regret buying them
both. They're a pleasure to read.

One of his better ideas is that sometimes, we think we want a small tree,
when in fact, what's better on smaller properties is a large shrub. He
provides plenty of suggestions.