Old 22-08-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default mini-Catt repotting in moss?

Nick,
Interesting response. I wish I knew enough about the different genera in the
cattleya alliance to understand why lots of Sophronitis in the background
would make it ok -- is it because Sophronitis have larger or firmer roots
than the others you mention?
Thanks,
Joanna

wrote in message
ps.com...
J Fortuna wrote:
I was wondering if it is a really bad idea to repot a mini-Catt into
moss? I
don't think I have ever seen a mini-Catt grown in moss and thus I wonder.

I would think it would depend on the ancestry of the mini-cat. If it
has lots of Sophronitis in the background, it would probably do quite
well. If it has lots of Broughtonia, rupiculous laelia, Cattleya
walkeriana, or Cattleya aclandiae, you'll probably end up with mushy
roots.

OTOH, with a clay pot and very careful watering, you can probably grow
almost anything is sphagnum. On the gripping hand, if it requires
great care, what's the point?

Nick