Old 22-08-2006, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Weed control

Javier said:

I've been told that the two weeds that seem to be invading my lawn are
Orchard Grass and Dallisgrass. Apparently, these two aren't easy to
control and there isn't a selective herbicide that will kill them
without affecting the surrounding lawn (in my case, fescue). I'm near
Raleigh, NC.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem? I do plan to overseed in
late September or early October...

Dallisgrass, I dunno. Orchard Grass in Fescue is a bummer. About all you
can probably do is use a broad spectrum herbicide (such as glyphosate),
spot spray, and be careful. A dye would help tremendously. Don't hurry and
it can be done easily.

When you overseed, make sure you buy good quality seed. Orchard Grass is
quite often included in a mix because of its usefulness in pastures. Look
for lawn seed that says it has NO "other crop seed", listed. Even one-half
of 1 percent orchard grass in a tall fescue mix can result in a dozen or
more orchard grass seeds per square foot.

HTH
--
Eggs

Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?