Old 23-08-2006, 03:07 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default Retaining wall

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article k.net,
"Jonny" wrote:

Yard in front of house has a downward slope away from the house. It
averages about 1" per foot, more slope as it goes away from the house.
The
fence is about 30' away from the house. I do not want the lawn down to
the
fence. Decided on a retaining wall about 20' away from the house in
front
allowing about 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
I've used up all the surface limestone rocks on my property for other
things. Too hot for a rock bar to dig up more. Looking for some flat
type
rock I can mortar up and lay for a retaining wall. Need about 60' length
retaining wall.
Where do I get such stone?

There are plenty of Masonry suppliers in the area. :-)
Can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but I
bought my stone in New Braunfels and had it delivered.

Digging my own would have been _far_ cheaper. Can you wait 'till cooler
fall weather to dig your own?

Do I have to pour concrete as a base for this wall?

From what I've read, a 6" "footer" is recommended.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

It'll wait till it get cooler, (if it does.... No point now as grass
isn't gonna grow very well again until next spring. Problem in my digs is
the stone may be big as house. Don't know until I dig around the potential
rock. Many are 2 and 3 foot long, one foot thick or more. Some are
inadequate in size. Most would be suitable for the retaining wall if not so
thick, plus they aren't of consistent thickness dimensions. Am sure they
won't move once placed. Stone masonary is one area I've not researched or
tried.

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.
--
Jonny