Old 23-08-2006, 03:36 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default Carpenter Ants

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en.../carpants.html

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomolog...7/444-287.html

Be sure you got the critter right. Many people confuse the carpenter with
the acrobat. The lower photo in the latter weblink is more related, is more
accurate for our local acrobat ants. Anything that kills fire ants will
kill other ants including carpenter and acrobat.

I would suggest hiring a bonafide, licensed exterminator to smoke em' out to
find the nest(s). You can take it from there, to control the residuals.

This time of year, all the insects are thirsty. (especially this year)
Look for leaking plumbing, or AC dumping water someplace. To paint a better
picture of their thirst, my hummingbird feeder has floating acrobat dead
ants on the liquid's surface. Its a feat just for the ants to get to it.
Eliminate the food and water sources, and the battle is half done.
--
Jonny
wrote in message
As I understand it, to eliminate Carpenter Ants a bait specific to them
is needed. I've looked around the area local stores, but haven't found
any. I know the ants don't do much/if any damage, but I want them gone!
Anyone know where the bait can be found locally? Not interested in
internet purchasing....way too expensive.

Dave S(Texas)