Old 23-08-2006, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Calling all northern Sweetcorn growers

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
I never sow until early May; the idea being to be able to plant them
outside in early June while both the shoot and the root are still small
(only two or 4 leaves). I imagine that if yours don;t go out until they
are nearly two months old, their roots will be pretty well developed and
dense in the pot; so possibly when planted out, the root system doesn't
expand and spread as far as it should. Just a guess. .

Ditto - I sow in May and out by June. Your guess is my thought too.
March is far too early for sweet corn. This year is not as good, I
suspect I neglected watering here and there. I have 15 or so plants at
the centre looking healthy and tall whilst I have smaller plants with
minute cobs on the edges of my bed which is strange ?!?!

March is far too early for sweet corn

This is in a Polytunnel - they're ready 3rd week July and seem to grow
extremely well apart from never having two cobs.