Old 23-08-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] delcolja@mail.ab.edu is offline

Default CORYANTHES vasquezii

wayne rohrer wrote:
Help
Can someone please give me specific culture data for CORYANTHES vasquezii. Also a picture of a mature plant, not just the flower. Mine is not doing too good and the culture data I have received has been vague.

I don't have any pictures, but all Coryanthes plants look pretty much
the same., with long, plicate leaves and grooved, more or less conical,
pseudobulbs. They need to be kept warm and consistently moist in a
humid atmosphere. They should be grown in baskets with sphagnum to
allow their flower spikes to grow downward. When in active growth,
they benefit from regular fertilizing with an acidic liquid fertilizer.
I use a generic version of Miracid at half strength.

In the wild they are often colonized by ants. Clearly this is not a
desirable condition in a greenhouse. The acidic fertilizer serves as a
substitute for the conditions the ant colony creates, or at least
that's my understanding of the situation.

J. Del Col