Old 24-08-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
BB BB is offline

Default OK to transplant 5gal Peach Tree??

I picked up at the store yesterday a nice-sized ('bout 6 foot tall) Elberta
Peach tree for a measly $10. It looks healthy (otherwise, I wouldn't have
bought it) if a little overgrown for the 5gal pot it's in.

We're heading into the hottest month of the year here in California. And,
I know that transplanting in hot weather is usually a bad idea.

My question is this: Should I wait for it to go dormant before planting in
the ground? Or, should I just try to insulate the pot (standard black
plastic) from the high heat to help conserve moisture? Or put the tree,
pot and all into a hole in the ground and then do the bareroot planting
come winter?

(We *have* had some major problems with gophers that I'm still trying to
figure out how to manage best.... And the occasional deer coming by for
some salad....)

Thanks!

--Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *