Old 24-08-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default OK to transplant 5gal Peach Tree??

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:15:03 GMT, BB
wrote:

I picked up at the store yesterday a nice-sized ('bout 6 foot tall) Elberta
Peach tree for a measly $10. It looks healthy (otherwise, I wouldn't have
bought it) if a little overgrown for the 5gal pot it's in.

We're heading into the hottest month of the year here in California. And,
I know that transplanting in hot weather is usually a bad idea.

My question is this: Should I wait for it to go dormant before planting in
the ground? Or, should I just try to insulate the pot (standard black
plastic) from the high heat to help conserve moisture? Or put the tree,
pot and all into a hole in the ground and then do the bareroot planting
come winter?

(We *have* had some major problems with gophers that I'm still trying to
figure out how to manage best.... And the occasional deer coming by for
some salad....)

Thanks!

--Bryan

Is it in a container, or is it bare root? You mention both. If it's
in a container, water it a hundred times in the container till the
whole root ball is entirely saturated. A really good thing to use as
your very last watering is a gallon or two of liquid seaweed, sold at
Lowes and Home Depot.

Dig the hole and make it two to three times the diameter of the
container and do not let it have smooth sides. Jag the sides with a
pitchfork.

Gently remove the tree from the container. If you have to really tug,
turn the container on its side and press on the sides as you roll it
around and loosen it all up.

Place the tree in the hole making sure the root ball is no deeper in
the ground, than it is in the container. In other words, do not put
soil up to the bark any higher than it already is in the container.
There should be a natural root flare at the base of the tree. The
number one reason trees do not survive is they are planted too deeply.

Take into account for soil settling, so try not to place the tree on
soft soil in the hole. Roots grow outward on fruit trees, so the
bottom of the hole can be left and not softened. To give some
drainage to the area take a fork and make holes in the bottom of the
soil.

If your soil is very hard, dry, clumpy or too wet, do not dig the hole
you can hurt the soil structure. If it IS dry, give that area a
really good watering using a cheap yellow circle you can get at any
garden store for two dollars. Those are the best devices for watering
trees.

Do NOT amend the soil. Fill the soil around the root ball after
you've broken all clumps up and the top layer all around the tree top
dress with a good compost and on top of that, shredded tree mulch.
Remember, do not put soil, compost or mulch near to or above the line
where the root flare should be out of the hole.

Water it deeply again, at least till you get the soil saturated, then
check every few days for dry soil. Do NOT be tempted to over water.

None of this can be done with a bare root plant, or a balled and
burlap tree any time in high heat.

OR you can bury the pot and keep it watered till the dormant months
come.