Old 24-08-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pumpkins continued

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:20:20 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

I have two bright orange pumpkins, about 18" across. They stem seems to be
hard and woody. I'm guessing they are in the latter stages of ripening.
Should I pick them at any time? It may be 2 months before we get a frost,
should they just sit there on the vine for a few more months until frost
kills the vine? I'm not sure when or if i should pick them.

As long as the vine has leaves the plant is feeding the pumpkin. Place
straw underneath the pumpkin to prevent it from rotting on the ground.