Old 24-08-2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default How many here grow food gardens inside green house year round?

cloud dreamer wrote:

Do you grow under them in the winter? If so, what can you grow? I've
done garlic uncovered but that's about it. I have two poly tunnels now
(and keep the plastic down with netting ...removing the plastic at the
height of summer and the net remains to keep out the hares). Would
onions survive the winter. As it stands, I can't get onions much bigger
than a golf ball. I wonder if planting in the fall would help that.

I am not sure about regular onions because I grow multiplier onions,
which I plant in the fall, either covered or uncovered. They are
shallot-like, and about twice golf ball in volume, which is their
regular size. Under tunnels I maintain carrots, kale, collard,
radicchio, dandelion, bokchoi which were grown during the warm season
and attained full size in october. The tunnels also warm the beds
quickly in the spring.