Old 24-08-2006, 02:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy[_1_] Cindy[_1_] is offline

Default Retaining wall

You're right, we shouldn't pray or wish for weather calamities to increase
our fresh water supply as others may get hurt or killed. We should continue
to live as usual, and kill our future.

We live in Spring, about 80 miles from the coast, and that's too close for
me. My husband would like to live on the coast, I say no. I don't want to be
swept out in the next tsunami.
I agree that it's stupid to live on a coast or a floodplain. I don't
understand the 'watch it be leveled, then rebuild on the same spot' mentality.
While they work so hard at not paying claims, insurance companies should force
relocation.
However, I don't wish death and destruction on other people because my water
supply is low. Perhaps it would make sense to get politically active and work
for legislation for water conservation. Xeriscaping, no private swimming pools,
no irrigation out of aquifers, etc.
That would be entertaining! If people were forced to live sustainably
instead of robbing groundwater and stealing water from other states, half the
population of California and a few others would probably pack up and move out of
the desert. Just think of all those retirees in Phoenix without their green
lawns...*snicker*
I knew a woman who moved there from Montana--their well in MT had soda
water, so they couldn't drink it or irrigate with it; they lived on a hill, and
she couldn't keep a nice lawn. So BY GOD when she moved to AZ, she was
determined to HAVE one, even if it was in the desert. Man, if I lived there, I
would have the coolest cactus garden....

Cindy