Old 25-08-2006, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default Lawnmower Stalls when I engage the blades

"Harlan^Man" wrote in message
I have a problem, I was mowing the yard the other day, all of the sudden
the mower quits. When I put everything in normal start position the mower
starts fine, It runs great too, until you engage the blades, it bogs and
stalls. I have check the deck and pulleys for twigs or grass clumps...
nothing there.

The mower is a Lowes brand, 14hp Briggs 42 inch cut, early to mid 90's I
reckon.

I checked the gas cap to see if it was clogged, not a problem. To be sure
tried all this with the gas cap off too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as my wife is ****ed about the yard
becoming a jungle.

Thanks!
Harlan

This may not be it but it might as you say it stalls when you engage the
power attachment. (Does it just cut out or does it lose power still running
but weak?) When this happened to me (cutting out) it was the switch under
my seat that went bad. It thought I was trying to engage the blades when my
buttocks was not on the seat. A way to check this is to bridge those
contacts and engage the blades. I was pretty sure of this recommendation
until I read the followup posts that indicate some other power loss issues.
Worth a look tho.
Tomes