Old 24-08-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Type of conifer? Identification

John wrote:
John wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
I pass, I think. Can you tell us why you want to know? Unless you very
properly just want to know for its own sake, any advice on care is
likely to be much the same whatever cypressy kind of thing it is.

Yes, I asked because I had previously asked for prunung advice, and one
of the respondents wanted to know the variety of the tree in question.

PS I think it was you that asked!!!

Ah, very likely. I have a memory like, er, one of those things...what's
the word?

I don't think you'll get very satisfactory results from pruning. Taking
the top off won't do any harm, but you'll have a permanently bushy top:
a pointy shape can't be regained. As I hinted earlier, I think this has
been done already at some time. This kind of tree needs to be watched
early in life in case it decides to fork -- I think you said upthread
that yours now had four trunks. You can't cut back beyond any greenery,
as "brown wood" won't send out new shoots. A bushy top needn't be
unattractive, but it is going to try to reach over a hundred feet in
height: in smaller gardens they really need to be treated as temporary
features.
--
Mike.