Old 24-08-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default has anyone or anybody studying rhs 2?

Marcus wrote
Hello Bob, thanks for your reply.

I have been a gardener for a while now, i lived in spain for a few
years as a gardener, needless to say a different type of gardening to
what i was used to. Unfortunatly I lost lots of plant knowledge that i
am desperate to get back as i am planning to start my own business in
the next year. So the course will help me to structure how i learn
plant indentification and their make up and so on and will refresh
things that i know, and things that i dont.

So thats my plan, for now anyway.

Tell me a little about yourself.

Self taught gardener although did learn a lot when a child from an old Steam
Engine driver I helped that fed his family with two large allotments next to
my school. I still remember his huge stone jars of home made pickles, red
cabbage, shallots, piccalilli, and the very strong Somerset Cheddar cheese
he used to get sent up by train. Sitting down to a late supper of crusty
bread, lashings of butter, and those pickles with his family was something I
will never forget. (didn't get indigestion in those days!)

Have had an interest in plants (and fish) all my life although my parents
were never interested much, successfully grafted my first rose when I was 10
after reading a book.

Interests are plants and veg plants in particular, we have an allotment,
although I do still have some orchids both tropical and hardy, some
Epyphylums, and other interesting plants acquired over the years.( some
thanks to other URGlers, you know who you are) Wife has a collection of
citrus trees that I tend, slicing your own ripe Lime or Lemon into a G & T
is a joy.

What's left of our small garden after making my pond for my fish is a
plantsmans mess as I've always concentrated on plants above the look of the
place. :-)
That has to change from this autumn though, I've decided. (Well Sue decided
so I did too)

BTW, spent the day at Hever Castle, if you haven't visited do so, it's
excellent and the large Italian Garden is wonderful.

Regards
Bob.