Old 25-08-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Marley1372@comcast.net is offline

Default Leland cypress - Like having lots of water or not?

You are confusing species of "cypress". Yes, pond and baldcypress are
adaptable in very wet areas, and will eventually for the knees IF they
are in a wet area. Neither pond nor bald cypress are true cypress.
Leyland cypress is actually an intergeneric hybrid between monterrey
cypress(a true cypress) and alaskan cedar(falsecypress). Wet areas
actually cause leyland cypress to be more prone to disease, a
characteristic most likley inherited from its chamaecyparis parentage.
As for the "knees", only the species Taxodium(pond, baldcypress, etc..)
form them, and they are not cypress anyway so do not be afraid of
planting "any cypress" there because of the knees. I would suggest
googling with what area you are in and also "trees tolerant of wet
soil". Google is a great tool, try it!

Toad

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
eastcoastguyz wrote:

I'm a little confused. A landscaper suggested that in a low area of our
yard where water pools at times of the year from lots of rain, said
that we should plant Leland cypress there since they love the water.
But I just read some older postings to this newsgroup where people said
they should have good drainage and won't like having their feet sit in
wet clay. (I'm typing this from memory).

Which is it? If I want to plant a row of trees in an area which is low
and water tends to pool there at times will Leland Cypress do fine or
are they going to die?

This conversation all came up, since I wanted to plant a row of trees
for privacy and was concerned about the water there during the heavy
rain months. I suspect since the soil has clay in it, that is making
the water stay around much longer too. Thanks!

If you mow near this area, DO NOT plant any type of cypress! The knees
will screw up the lawn.

There are likely other tall plants, not necessarily trees, that will
grow there. But yeah, pond, bald, I guess leland will grow in water.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)