Old 25-08-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Heirloom tomatoes in Upper Midwest

wrote:

Since Minneapolis, Twin Cities, Minn end of tomato growing season is
possibly 5 weeks away should we be doing any pruning to enhance fruit
ripening? The vines are growing prolifically right now, 6 ft going on 7
ft, with lots of blossoms and setting. We have stopped fertilizing
about 2 weeks ago.

On the Stupice, will reducing fruit load mean the fruit will be larger?
Right now they seem to be OK fresh and maybe bagged for the freezer.
Certainly not for canning!

Eg, cut off new blossoms, top the leader, prune off the suckers, other
ideas?

Regards, Phil

don't know how to advise you on this one. I never do anything of the
sort, though I do get earlier and poorer fruiting from stressed plants.
In another post someone has suggested driving a spade in the ground
near the plant to cut part of the roots.