Old 25-08-2006, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen gardenlen is offline

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

sorry farm1,

you maybe a bit off the mark there, ants not only have a symbiotic
relationship with sacle insects but also with mealy bugs and aphids
pretty much any thript. and aphids do secrete a sugary substance that
the ants use in their food chain.

in my life of gardening i have observed ants harvesting aphids not
only on roses but on other plants as well.

the aphid is flightless and can't crawl over the ground so the only
way it gets around is by being carried.

used to be a good way to predict rain when rose growers observed the
ants taking the aphids back underground so they won't be knocked off
their perch by heavy rain.

anyhow that's the nature of things and this is the only time in my 10
years online i have ever heard it any different.

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:29:40 +1000, "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,