Old 25-08-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Type of conifer? Identification

John wrote:
Thank you.
There are 4 trunks. If I remove one or two will not that leave bare
wood at the point where those trunks are removed?
Also, is there any way of removing some of the height and the tree
still looking OK and growing back into shape? What would happen if the
top 8 foot was removed like a hedge and six inches taken off the sides?
Would it recover its shape?

I feel that you are in two minds with what you want to achieve. You
either want to reduce the height and keep it to this height, or you
want to cut it and then let it grow again to same height and shape. The
later is not possible with cypress.

It's the unfortunate things with these trees. They are fabulous as a
feature, I think, in a lawn, removing the lower branches which gives a
pleasant cover underneath, but I always advise not to use them as
hedging because soon or later they'll outgrow their space if you don't
prune them annually to be kept as a hedge and you get to the situation
you are in now. Ideally it should have been reduced to 2 trunks, and
the leader cut down and kept down to the height desired.

If I was you, I would cut out one trunk, the tallest/leader one and
prune to the desired shape. You ought to do this now as it's the best
time. To keep on top of it, you must prune a few times during the
summer the following years. By doing this, you will have selected a
smaller trunk as the leader, this one could be kept as the 'peak' of
the shape you wish to keep so much.