Old 25-08-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Irrigation and Peat Free Compost

"Rick Eggleston" wrote in message
My thanks to all of you who have given sensible answers. The yellow
appearance of the plants also concurs with my own experience. For those

of
you who have not seen New Horizon, it is very coarse, being essentially

old
sawdust, and "wetting" is actually easier than with Peat, but it drains
extremely quickly and does not suck water up from below. During the hot
spell twice a day watering has been necessary, hence the need for an
irrigator.

snip --
Best Regards,

Rick

We use this same compost on the nursery, we have found most of our plants
actually grow better in it than peat but some plant groups were a disaster
like hardy geranium and have had to mix our own for those.
We always use a very heavy dose of slow release fertilizer and do no rely on
what ever is in the bag. We also use new horizon in all our big pots outside
and water once per day with thirsty plants being stood on shallow saucers.
Our main problems using NH were the change over, i.e. adjusting the way we
grew/watered, now we are used to it we get better results and much less
winter losses. Just need someone to tell us whether we can eat the fungi
that sometimes appear in the pots!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk