Old 26-08-2006, 06:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
LJ LJ is offline

Default Poor soil (dirt) quality

Compost, compost, compost.

A thin layer of well-rotted manure, instead of topsoil, will help, but
you may need to do it a few years in a row.

My soil has poor nutrition and compacts easily, I am working on
increasing the humus content by addng manure and mulching fall leaves.
Topsoil is a gamble when it comes to humus content.

In four years, my lawn soil is softer and the grass doesn't brown out
as fast in summer. Still a ways to go yet.

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:58:08 -0400, synergy3000
wrote:

I moved into a new house which was built on old farm land. The dirt is
pretty crappy. Hard and clay like.