Old 26-08-2006, 04:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

"gardenlen" wrote in message
sorry farm1,

you maybe a bit off the mark there, ants not only have a symbiotic
relationship with sacle insects but also with mealy bugs and aphids
pretty much any thript. and aphids do secrete a sugary substance

that
the ants use in their food chain.

Well I can only say that I have never seen an ant near the aphids on
my roses. And my garden has multiple varieties of ants. Perhaps the
wrens clear the aphids before the ants have a chance to find the
aphids.

the aphid is flightless and can't crawl over the ground so the only
way it gets around is by being carried.

Wrong Len. Aphids do grow wings. See
http://www.princeton.edu/~dstern/AphidResearch.htm and
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-apc051805.php