Old 26-08-2006, 05:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

"gardenlen" wrote in message
that is how it has worked for me, aslo i don't think the aphids last
long without their farmers.

Not true Len. There are many people who have aphids and never have
ants. The garden books all talk about aphids but NEVER mention
getting rid of ants as a cure for getting rid of aphids.

In my own garden I have never, ever seen an ant on my rose bushes but
every spring I get aphids. The birds deal with them.

once the ants have gone simply hose off the aphids with a strong

spray
of water if you use an atomiser bottle add a bit of detergent.

moving
the ants on is the lynch pin

Len that makes no sense. Ants aren't the problem only (according to
you) a consequence. Aphids are the problem.

If you hose a rose bush with both aphids and ants on it and can get
enough pressure to blow off the aphids then you would also blow off
the ants. Aphids have their snout buried in the bark of the rose.
Ants do not have the same sort of grip as the aphids. The only
problem with blowing off the aphids is that they will come back as
they will not all be removed and they breed up fast. Killing the ants
will not control the aphids.