Old 26-08-2006, 06:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

Dave -Turner wrote:
So if i destroy the ants nests at the bases of my roses bushes that would
have a significant effect on the aphid populations (by allowing other
predatory insects in that the ants wouldve otherwise kept away) ?

Do not use poisons to do this as they could also kill your wanted
predatory insects {:-).
When you remove the ants, you might also find other insects now start
attacking the rose bushes because the ants also fed on them {:-)

I just settle for culling the aphids with a strong hose spray each time
I water, or splashing/spraying them with soapy water (left over
windscreen wash water).