Old 26-08-2006, 02:32 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default And some people say there's no God...

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:58:31 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

Would you feel better to have them called myths? Faith is opposed to
reason and if reasonable people view myths only as that, it's not
necessarily disrespectful that many of us can be enriched by a poetic
sacred fiction without having to give up our capacity for reason.

I wouldn't feel better because I don't feel bad to begin with. Sure,
if you call Buddhism a myth, I have no argument. Buddhism is unique
because it accepts all other philosophies and doesn't make a
distinction of a creator. We've had this discussion before. Buddhism
is a theory of philosophy.

The disrespectful thing would be if someone otherwise fond of mythology &
fairy tales disliked scripture merely because it has its believers. Your
belief cannot spoil my love of myths. My unwillingness to supplant reason
with faith shouldn't make you feel disrespected for your belief in the
unreal, unless your faith is already shaky, in which case everything
scientific or rational will seem assaultive even if it's not.

I was called an idiot and moron because of my Buddhist beliefs of
reincarnation. Does this fit your category of someone being
disrespectful? You didn't say anything disrespectful, so I'm not sure
why you're defending yourself. My faith in Buddhism is stronger than
ever and at this point cannot be shaken.

What's your position on String Theory?

Now if I were to note what a dumbass you are that might be regarded as
disrespectful. But I am perfectly capable of respecting people of faith if
they're not dumbasses, & they in turn rarely seem to have trouble
respecting me.

-paghat the ratgirl

Nice way to call me a dumbass by saying IF you were to do so might be
regarded as disrespectful. Oh well. We've never seen things through
the same eyes.