Old 26-08-2006, 02:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant[_5_] ant[_5_] is offline

Default Aphids on my roses, time to wage war

Farm1 wrote:
"ant" wrote in message

Speaking of mongrel ants who bring nasties to things (like trees),
how can you slaughter large numbers of them? I have a larger
problem, with ants and sticky stuff and trees/bushes slowly
struggling against them.

As Len (rightly) mentioned, the ants come for the sticky stuff. There
will be some sort of bug on your trees which is causing the sticky
exudate.

What sort of trees and do they have sooty mould? Sooty mould looks
just like black soot.

gums, mainly. It's quite virulent. Some have the black yuck on them, other
have a sort of messy sticky stuff, and lots of ants. It's bloody annoying.
We've planted hundreds of trees over the years, and many are being smashed
into oblivion by this stuff. The trees I germinated from local gumnuts seem
particularly prone to this. The mannifera are the least prone.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;